The number after sixteen.
This results in the number seventeen playing a major role in all important facets of Dragaeran life.
Most of the Great Houses and the Dragaeran Empire itself include seventeen in their ceremonial rituals. (For example, to win membership in the House of Dzur, one must defeat seventeen Dzur Heroes in even combat.)
Basic Dragaeran Mathematics
Since the number seventeen occurs so often in combinations, there are other multiples that appear frequently in Dragaera.
- 17 (examples; the number of houses, great weapons)
- 17+17=34 (example; the number of chapters in each of the Khaavren Romances)
- 17x17=289 (examples; number of days in a year, years in a phase, coppers in an Imperial)
- 17x17x17=4,913 (examples; number of days in a turn, minimum duration of a cycle)
- 17x17x17x17=83,521 (examples; maximum duration of a cycle, times Sethra the Younger had to write in the sand)
- 17x17x17x17x17=1,419,857 (example; maximum duration of a Great Cycle)
- See also Speculation:Seventeen.